Water Filters and Softeners at Manufacturer Prices

CUSTOMER HELPLINE

0333 987 4690

Login / Register
0
Search Menu

Why Buying Bottled Water is a Deadly Decision

Why Buying Bottled Water is a Deadly Decision

Bottled water has become a part of everyday life; a whim, a fleeting thought. It’s so convenient after all! But bottled water is not all it’s been chalked up to be.

In this article, we will tackle the myths surrounding bottled water and show you why buying bottled water isn’t harmful only to your hard-earned cash, but also to the economy and the environment. We suggest that you read this article and then stop and take a second to think about whether this is the legacy that we want to leave behind; a legacy where future generations will be breathing polluted air and looking at plastic oceans because we chose convenience over sustainability.

Why Buying Bottled Water is a Deadly Decision

Bottled Water Facts & Statistics You Should Know:

  • Bottled water is extremely expensive: It might not seem like much to spend a few pence on a litre of bottled water at the time, but keep in mind that you have water readily available in your home (that you pay for) which has been proven to cost up to 2000 times less than bottled water. Why would you spend money to rent a fancy, environmentally damaging car when you have a perfectly fine car standing in your garage?
  • It is also wreaking havoc on our natural ecosystems: Approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans annually according to an article by National Geographic.
  • Approx 5,000 items of marine plastic pollution have been found per mile of beach in the UK.
  • Plastic waste (including plastic bottles) washes into the ocean and kills 1.1 million marine creatures annually.
  • In 2016, 400 billion plastic water bottles were consumed around the globe, equivalent to 1 million plastic water bottles per minute, or 20,000 bottles per second. Approximately only 9% of all plastic gets recycled, while the remaining 91% ends up in landfills or leaches into our oceans.
  • Many plastic bottles for water are made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) which is not biodegradable.
  • As mentioned above, plastic water bottles are made from a petroleum product called polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which requires giant amounts of fossil fuels to make and transport.
  • Your plastic water bottle will be hanging around much longer than you will, it takes approximately 500 years for plastic to biodegrade completely.
  • It takes 25% of a bottle of oil to produce a single water bottle – Which means it takes 17 million barrels of oil to make one year’s supply of bottled water. That amount of oil could fuel almost 1.3 million cars for a year or power 190,000 homes!
  • Bottling water releases 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year.
  • Bottled water is tested for microbes and other water pollution four times less than tap water.

The manufacturing of single-use water bottles is not only wasteful and damaging because of the bottles, but it also takes 3 times the water that’s in the bottle, to make the bottle.

Are You Thirsty For Action?

Now that you’re aware of that bottled water is pretty harmful to yourself and your furry, feathered, and scaly friends alike, are you ready to step up? There are so many ways that you can help wild animals, insects and yourselves but one important way is to make sure you aren’t maintaining a bottled water habit that is harmful to others. Just stop and take one second to think about whether this is the legacy that we want to leave behind. A legacy where future generations will have to live breathing polluted air and looking at plastic oceans because we chose convenience over sustainability.

How You Can Make a Difference:

  • There are so many better alternatives! Ditch the habit and ensure that your house is equipped with reusable bottles such as the H2Go Universal Water Flask.
    • Reusable bottles are a safe, less wasteful and ultimately more cost-effective alternative to disposable ones. Using reusable bottles allows you to:
      • Lower the amount of waste in landfills
      • Reduce or eliminate harmful chemicals
      • Protect animals and their natural habitat
  • Get a Water Filtration System in place to ensure that your water is clean and safe for consumption! Have a look at some amazing ones that are available here.
  • Raise awareness by letting your friends and family know about the impact that bottled water is having on our environment. Encourage your friends, family and colleagues to make use of reusable filtration bottles.
  • Don’t just toss it in the bin (or worse, on the side of the road) – make an effort to recycle.
  • Educate the next generation!
  • Participate in cleanup efforts near you.
You got this